quinta-feira, 29 de janeiro de 2009

Ruins - Tzomborgha (2002)

Hello, and welcome to the first post of Alt FM.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u214/Patton777/PhoTO/tzomborgha.jpg


For some months now, I've grown more and more interested in music, especially the kind of music that people around me don't listen. This led to the discovery of the multitude of blogs that are floating on the web, blogs that especiallize in providing music. Again, a kind of music that people around me don't listen to. So I've decided I'd like to share what I've been discovering. Once more, I'd like to make relevant the fact that all the files that I post are for promotional purposes. If you like it, buy it!!!

It's only natural, then, that I share with you one of my favourite bands. Ruins' Tzomborgha is the band's latest album. The first time I heard, I must confess I burst out laughing. A fresh new sound, with an invented language, provided me with the kind of escape I had been looking for in music. At the time, I was tired of listening to the same old lyrics, encompassed by attempts to create new music. Here is what allmusic says about the album:

Like some twisted version of "Bohemian Rhapsody" played by a collaboration between the Boredoms and the Bonzo Dog Band, Ruins' Tzomborgha is a fascinating and nerve-racking mix of back and forth shouting matches, falsetto vocables, and out-of-control bass and drum jams. Somehow the nonsense seems cohesive and, by the end, oddly coherent. With constantly changing time signatures, none of this could really be called catchy or accessible, but it is challenging and rewarding. Tracks like "Skhanddraviza" sound like prog rock from another dimension, with touches of King Crimson, Genesis, and Queen. "Pachtseills" sounds like the Minutemen played on a nursery-school turntable at the wrong speed. They even play a Black Sabbath medley and a Mahavishnu Orchestra medley. Sound confusing? It is. The fact that this Japanese noise band can be so off the wall yet so evocative of both arena rock favorites and iconoclastic punk makes no sense at all. But true to its name, Ruins manages to take the building blocks of fallen music genres and stack them into something totally new and unexpected.

Download

For the first time listeners:

Allmusic's entry on Ruins
Wikipedia's entry on Ruins

Sem comentários: